Thursday 19 October 2017

Joy

I'm reading Brené Brown's new book, 'Braving the Wilderness' at the moment.  It's one of those books that incites feelings of confusion, contrition, choleric outrage, and at times a compulsion to consign the whole thing to the freezer until I recover my equilibrium.  Do read it.  I've just read the following and it's a reiteration of statements she's made in many of her previous publications:  "Joy is probably the most vulnerable emotion we experience."

I suddenly remembered this poem I wrote nearly two years ago.  It was in response to the challenge laid down by a poetry group I was a part of briefly, to write something about joy.  In applying myself to the task, the realisation dawned on me that it was a long time since I'd felt any.  Reading Brené's words again I am beginning to see why.  

Here is the poem:

Joy

Plink.
Every odd
Moment,
A drip
Drops
Down
Into the deep.

Plink, plink.
Once and again,
There it falls,
Echoing
Against
The stones
Slickened with moisture.

Plink, plink, plink
Dark moss drinks a draught
And drains each drop,
Each tiny drop
Of water
Right away
But still the damp persists.

Plink, plink, plink, plink.
Frequency increasing.
It’s flowing faster,
Firmly, fervently.
I keep hoping
That, keeping faith,
My cup will soon run over…

Mary Goodman 5/12/2015


No comments:

Post a Comment