Thursday 25 April 2013

Looking up


Maybe it’s because there are more nice days in Melbourne (even though they are getting colder) or maybe it’s the fact that my surroundings are still new to me.  It might simply be because my life is looking up in general, but I’m conscious of how blinkered I can be – particularly on my way into work.  I have a routine of getting on the bus, plugging my earphones in, listening to music while browsing my twitter feed (@marybadlady).  It’s not a bad introduction to the working day but I realise I enjoy the day so much more when I look up and notice the people and things I’m passing by, even if they are relatively inconsequential.  I’ve therefore resolved to #Lookup more often. 
Examples of what I’ve seen recently:
  • Hot air balloons in floating in a dusty pink morning sky above Kew in Melbourne.
  • Hoddle St: CCTV and Security equipment wholesaler - Cement works – Auto repair shop – wee court yard with hanging baskets, pot plants and a garden bench – Busy intersection …
  • Tall business man in his sixties sprinting to make the tram, pinstripe suit, briefcase and all.  He really shifted it!
  • A woman getting on the bus in the morning with a plate of raisin toast and a latte in a glass cup, standing in the middle of the bus, breakfasting away.
  • A wedding cake shop that looks like a cemetery of future special days.
  • A cockatoo sitting on a police station (thought it had been blown rather far south and then read the local newspaper which announced that someone’s pet bird had escaped.  Maybe he was turning himself in, but I hope he turned his beak north and flew off to freedom)
  •  A heart-shaped stone on the beach…




No comments:

Post a Comment